[C320-list] BLUE WATER SAILING

Tbuilder at aol.com Tbuilder at aol.com
Mon Nov 17 10:57:32 PST 2008

Orlando, thanks for that. One important point that I didn't mention is
displacement. I had a quick look at the specs for some similar European boats. A
Beneteau First 32 weighs in at 8,200 lbs, a Bavaria 32 is 8,500 lbs but a
Catalina 320 weighs a mighty 11.700 lbs . Although this MIGHT mean that a 320 is
not quite so fast round the cans, it does mean that she is ideal for smashing
her way through heavy seas which is what I really want - solid and safe.

I sailed a Beneteau 41 across the Atlantic a couple of years ago - although
she was considerably longer than a 320 she weighed about the same. No one
could  get used to the very tender motion and at the end of 19 days at sea I still
 hadn't found my balance.

I know which hull was the more seaworthy!!

Alec  Blanc
FIGMENT III  #1081
Lochaber Watersports
Ballachulish