[C320-list] Return of the Freshwater leak...

Allan S. Field allan.field at verizon.net
Sun Nov 30 04:45:07 PST 2008

Bernie - You said "fresh water"; does that mean new water or non-salt (rain
or water tanks)?  If new, you might want to dip you finger in it and taste
it for salt or truly fresh water.  If it is non -salt water and not coming
from the water tanks, finding a leak is a process of elimination.  But I
would start with the easiest places to fix - around the deck plates which
include the 2 fresh water fills, the holding tank, the fuel tank fill, and
the emergency tiller deck plate (a source of a leak for us several years
ago).  For the 4 starboard deck plates, starting aft, have someone spray
water directly on the plates while you look from underneath for the leak
then work your way forward doing the same thing.  Also spray water directly
into the scuppers from above while you are below, looking for leaks where
the hoses fit onto the bottom of the scupper and the through-hull.  If none
of these wind up being the culprit, then the real work starts - re-bedding
all deck hardware.  Catalina recommends re-bedding on a regular basis (can't
remember exactly what Gerry Douglas said but I think it was about every 5
years or so).  Given the age of your boat, if it has never been done, it is
past time even if there are no deck hardware leaks now anyway.

Hope this helps.

Allan S. Field
Sea Shadow - #808
Columbia, MD