[C320-list] Stuffing Box GFO size

Chris Burti clburti at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 06:01:30 PST 2008

Both will work on the older boats and both have been recommended in various
versions of the manual. It has been asserted that Catalina used different
stuffing boxes at various times, but interestingly enough, when you do the
math on mine, it calls for 7/32" which is not a manufactured size. I suspect
that for various reasons they decided the optimum size is the larger or
smaller at different points in the run.

It is easy to put in three rings of 3/16", but it compresses on down. To put
in three of 1/4"most find it easier to put in two rings, compress the
packning and then put in the third. Some only put in two.

It all seems to work. I have three rings of 1/4", a bone dry bilge and a
cool stuffing box.

--
Chris Burti Farmville, NC