[C320-list] Transmission Failure ?

Kirk McCullough kirk.mccullough at telus.net
Thu Oct 2 14:13:52 PDT 2008

Shawn

I have the same arrangement as you do, Perkins, Kiwi and Hurth.  When i
switched from the 3 blade fixed prop to the Kiwi, I found it put a much
greater load on the engine in reverse as you noted. In forward, the Hurth
began to slip after some 50 to 100 hous on the Kiwi. I do not know for sure
if the Kiwi had anything to do with the slipping gearbox as it had over 2000
hours at that time, but i suspect it did.

Anyway I found the price to repair the Hurth 50 was high so I decided to buy
a new gearbox. ZF acquired Hurth so now I had the choice of a ZF-5 (old
Hurth 50) or a ZF-10 (old Hurth 100). Since the clutch pack and most other
components are much stronger in the ZF-10 I went with it. The Hurth 50 that
Catalina coupled to the Perkins was not really a big enough unit. The old
Hurth 100 now called the ZF 10 would have been a better choice, even as
stated by the ZF regional mgr. in Seattle. The Hurth 50 is good up to about
30 hp, the Hurth 100 is good up to 48 hp; much stronger.

If you need to repair your gearbox, definitely look into getting a new one
instead.

How many hours do you have on the engine/gearbox?

Kirk