[C320-list] Normal Performance Limits?

Dennis Harris dharris02 at embarqmail.com
Sun Oct 5 17:00:14 PDT 2008

Jack,

    If I'm not badly mistaken, the Raymarine knotmeter still has a
calibration routine ..consult the hand book. Take the boat out where there
are two navigation day markers.  Determine from the navigation chart the
distance between the two.  Motor directly from one (get a running start and
be at a given speed for the entire distance)....time the run and determine
by calculation what your actual speed at the given throttle setting is.  At
the same setting, make a turn and return back in the opposite direction for
a second run between the day markers .... time this second run and determine
by calculation what your actual speed is.  Average the two runs, and at the
same throttle setting, adjust the Raymarine knotmeter to show that speed.
To prevent fouling of the paddle wheel of the knotmeter, remove it when you
are not sailing and insert the plug in the opening.   Actually, assuming you
have a GPS, an absolutely accurate knotmeter is not that important anyway.
You can use an inaccurate knotmeter to determine whether sail adjustments
have increased or decreased speed.  If you are traveling from one port to
another, it seems that speed over ground as determined by the GPS is more
important than absolute boat speed.  Because the knotmeter gets fouled with
marine growth rapidly in our area, I don't even use mine most of the time.

    As for the leak, I haven't experienced that one, so I can't help.
Finally, boats and most other things don't always work perfectly.  Unless,
it's horribly bad, as in the darn thing is sinking or about to sink, just
use it and enjoy it.  Not sure whether the inaccurate tachometer thread is
yours, but again, it's not too important.  If the manual says it should run
at 3600 max and yours runs at 3200 max at hull speed, then run at that rpm.
If your engine is smoking while running at approximately hull speed 6-7
knots regardless of tachometer reading, then there is a problem that needs
attention.  Some people say that a diesel needs to be run at full load at
top speed for best results...I personally don't believe that.  Running for
long times at low speeds can sometimes lead to carbon deposit problems, but
running anywhere in the upper half of the speed range, but some where less
than absolute top speed will likely do just fine and be the best for the
engine.

    Just my two cents worth.

    Dennis Harris C320 #694