[C320-list] Asymmetrical spinnaker sheets

Denny Browne dennybrowne at verizon.net
Sun Oct 12 13:43:04 PDT 2008

I run my tack line from the tack of the sail, down to a block on the anchor
roller bail along the deck to a small bulls eye fairlead on the side of the
cabin top near the bow, back to a second fairlead about half way down the
cabin and up slightly to a cam cleat on the side of the cabin but at the aft
edge. This arrangement allows for the most direct pull on the line to
control the tack of the sail and, as a result, the curve in the luff. I can
even run it to a jib winch if need be and ccasionally I need the winch.

I use two sheets so I can easily jibe the sail on the outside of the head
stay. I have a titanium snap shackle on each sheet, so it's pretty easy to
detach one if the air is very light. This requires a spinnaker halyard, by
the way. If you use a jib halyard, it wraps around the head stay a half turn
when you jibe, and chafes the halyard and may damage the shackle. You can
use a jib halyard, but then must jibe the sail inside the head stay. If you
use a jib halyard, you probably want the attachment point for the tack line
to be aft of the furling drum rather than on the anchor bail so the tack
line doesn't end up chafing either. Also, in either case, an ATN Tacker,
Parrel Beads from Neil Pryde Sails or that sailcloth strap from North Sails
should be used to keep the tack close to the center line of the boat.

The problem with this arrangement (in addition to the foredeck trip hazard)
is that the fairleads are the same ones I use for the foreguy on the
symmetrical spinnaker. There's a matching pair on the other side of the boat
and the foreguy is double ended so it can be tightened or released from
either side of the boat. Therefore, I like the idea of running the tack line
outside the stanchions, and plan to do this at some point. I'm
procrastinating the purchase of a hexaratchet block with fiddle and cam
cleat along with a mounting point. I'd attach this hexaratchet block at the
base of the stanchion in front of the boarding gate so it's not another trip
hazard when boarding. I'd have the tack line run to it through two blocks on
the forward stanchions. I like the ones that run the line outside the
stanchions rather than inside, just because it's one less line to trip the
crew.

The blocks, if attached to the stanchions, need to be as close to the deck
as possible because of the load. I've put considerable thought into the
outside option, but you'd be well advised to check with a rigger to be
confident that the stanchion mounting hardware is stout enough to handle the
shear load applied by the tack line. I suspect it's fine, but I'm not an
engineer and I'd want to be sure. The greater the bend in the line, by the
way, the greater the load on the block and attachment point. The inside
option is probably better and significantly cheaper. It works fine and I've
yet to actually want to use the symmetrical and asymmetrical sails on the
same outing. It seems this is an even better option if you use a jib
halyard, as the turns in the line may put too much load on the stanchion
base. Keep in mind, they're designed to stand up to pressure from the inside
out, not from the outside in, which the tack line would provide.

Sorry to be so wordy...

Denny Browne
A Cappella #935
Redondo Beach