[C320-list] OVERHEATING PROBLEMS

David Marecek David.Marecek at ca.fujitsu.com
Tue Oct 14 08:32:48 PDT 2008

Update on Overheating Problems

1.  I checked with Yanmar and there is no recall on the 8 tube heat
exchanger for 2004 in North America . However you can purchase the new
15 tube heat exchanger for 1000+ CDN. Seems strange that new boats now
come with 15 tubes for the same engine.

2. I removed the Exhaust elbow from the engine this weekend.  It was
pretty clogged with carbon, so cleaned and chipped it out and
reinstalled.

Result was I could run at 2900 rpm( this is 800 rpm better than when I
started the process) with a steady 180 degrees. If I ran up to 3400 rpm
(Max rpm due to Maxprop), I could hold 180 for about 5 min, but then
temp crept up towards 220.  When I backed off down to 2500 rpm to cool,
it took a long time to bring temp back down to 180.  There is now lots
of water flow in the exhaust, so next step is to pull the heat exchanger
and examine to see if clean.  I sense this maybe an issue since the cool
down from over temp took a very long time ie 10 min which suggests the
heat exchange may not be real efficient.

Dave Marecek