[C320-list] Sailing in the SFO Bay and Pacific

Chef Adam Weiner esquirecatering at rcn.com
Tue Oct 14 17:25:29 PDT 2008

Call me off line, at 650-465-5858 cell.

1.	Plenty of good marinas.  Coyote Point on the Peninsula is about as
far south as you want to be.  I am at Sierra Point (Map Quest at 500 Sierra
Point Parkway, Brisbane) between Candlestick Park and Airport.  The
location--about 30 minutes to Sunnyvale non-commute time--and parking are
great.  The yacht club is unique.  Two to three hours sail to San Francisco.
Usually great wind (sometimes too great of wind.)

2. Look up Latitude 38 on line and start subscribing to their free Lectronic
Latitude.  They are the best sailing magazine in California and they are
based in San Francisco Bay area.

3.	I have done ocean treks as far south as Half Moon Bay.  No wind.  I
have headed out the Gate several times to turn around to find wind in the
Gate with none outside.  The heat in the Central Valley and the coldness of
the ocean create a Venturi affect making the Bay windy for about 9 months a
year.  Going out the Gate is best in Spring and Fall.  Summer very foggy and
not much wind usually and winter can get wild and is generally not
recommended unless you have to go out there.  Please note that there are
many offshore races including the TransPac every other year.  Whatever you
do, stay in the shipping channel to at least Buoy number one.  There are
some very nasty shoals on either side of the channel including the world
famous Potato Patch shoal.

5.	Latitude 38 and all yacht clubs will have ideas on racing.  I have a
good racing contact whom is very high in demand in J105 fleet who can advise
you more.

6.	If you are here, let's see what we can set up for either this Friday
night or possibly Sunday.  Saturday is a family day.

7.	You can try to reactivate the fleet.  There are a large number of
320's in the Bay.  It is kind of like driving down the road and saying, "Hey
look another Ford Taurus."  There are at least four in my marina alone.

Adam