[C320-list] Gel-coat crack in Hull

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 16 20:49:34 PDT 2008

Hi Dave,

I noticed a stress crack in the gel coat running horizontally all across the
right angle where the flat portion of the forward portion of the swim
platform meets the vertical side of the transom.

I assume that you are speaking of the corner of the transom where the curved
portion of the hull ties into the curved portion of the transom that rolls
down to the waterline.

In that area I believe you described, I have not observed any cracks while
one can run their hand over that area and may detect a deflection in the gel
coat.

I know that the lower portion of the curved hull to transom area near the
waterline is pretty beefy as I have run up on a concrete pier when the water
levels were extremely high in Lake Erie back in the late 90s. I did scrap
some gel coat when the transom floated up on the pier surface momentarily,
but did not have any downward crack develop.

I figure my gel coat crack on the forward portion of the swim platform where
it meets the vertical transom developed by way of me standing on the swim
platform after stepping from the swim ladder during the colder winter months
while the boat was in the cradle. I am assuming that the pressure and
reactive flex of the swim platform creating my gel coat crack.

Perhaps you could also forward a digital photo so other owners will know
what you are observing.

Rick
My-Ria hull # 277