[C320-list] In Boom Furler Now Electrics Upgrade

Robert Seastream robert.seastream at comcast.net
Fri Oct 24 18:34:00 PDT 2008

Brian:

I'm in a similar situation to you regarding AC power, partly because
I'm on a mooring.  When I upgraded our charging system, I went with
the Ferris 'Powermax' alternator (125 amp), Balmar 3 stage regulator
and 'Echo' charger package.  The alternator is a drop in replacement
for the OEM single pulley alternator.  I ran fused 4 AWG wires
directly from the alternator to the two 4D wet cells (paralleled on
battery switch position 1), and installed a dedicated AGM starting
battery (what the Echo charger is for) on position 2.  I now can
charge my house bank from 25 percent to full in about 90 minutes,
rather than the nearly four hours the standard system used to take.
The standard (supplied with the Yanmar 3GM30F engine) Hitachi
alternator is rated at 55 amps, but in real world operating conditions
only outputs about half that and then only with the engine running
above 2000 rpm.  Anything that Balmar offers is likely just fine.  I
chose Ferris because they're located in MA; should I have any issues I
prefer to have a throat to choke nearby.

I'm with Orlando.  The Honda EU2000i genset is under $1000, under 50
pounds, under 60 db full load noise level (QUIET); what's not to
like?  It's our next purchase for Intuition, partly because air
conditioning may be in our future.  We intend to secure it on the
fantail and run a short pigtail from the genset output right into the
shore power connector.

Finally, when moderate to large amounts of AC power is required
(particularly on a regular basis), I think a generator rather than a
large inverter is the better way to go.  Otherwise you'll be
subjecting your house bank to deep discharges on a fairly regular
basis and end up replacing that house bank more often than you should
have to.  Additionally, the increased hours of engine runtime to
recharge the house bank equal increased engine wear and tear.  Save
that engine for more important tasks, such as helping you claw off a
lee shore or get home when the wind dies.

Bob Seastream
Intuition # 906