[C320-list] downwind cruising sail ?

Allan S. Field allan.field at verizon.net
Thu Sep 11 03:43:11 PDT 2008

Irv - You might want to try gybing the A-Sym versus tacking.  The procedure
is to pull the main to the center-line.  Start the gybe slowly and begin to
let the working sheet of the A-Sym out.  Before the stern comes through the
wind, let the working sheet fly so that the sail gets completely out in
front of the boat.  Once the sail is in front of the boat, complete the gybe
and sheet in the new working sheet as you do so.  This technique takes some
practice and some inevitable wraps around the forestay but it does work.

The biggest problem I have had with this technique is that on one occasion
while single-handed, the working sheet, when I let it fly, drifted under the
boat and became jammed between the hull and top of the rudder.  When I let
the sail fly now, I keep a hand on the working sheet to prevent it from
going under the boat.  I also have not tried single-handing the sail since
that event as I can't keep a hand on the sheet, gybe the boat, plus pull in
the new sheet without a third hand!  There has to be a way to do this but I
haven't quite figured it out yet...

Hope this helps.

Allan S. Field
Sea Shadow - #808