[C320-list] Anchoring

warren updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 17 17:07:54 PDT 2008

The theory of the Kellet is that it is a weight deployed below the water to
a depth that exceeds that of your draft. It doesn't need to be a great
weight as it only functions when conditions are such that you experience a
slack rode. Think ours is a 13 lb mushroom anchor. When there is wind or
current causing strain on the rode there is no danger of fouling your keel
or rudder. Only when there is slack is a wrap possible. The kellet merely
holds the slack rode below the keel so if the prevailing forces cause the
boat to rotate around the slack rode, the rode is held below the keel and
rudder.

I have a mark on my kellet line at 5 feet, and use a snap shackle to attach
it to the rode. Unless the depth is less, I let the kellet out until the
mark is at the surface of the water. You don't want it on the bottom, just
below the keel.

We do a bit of rafting and always deploy the kellet as anchor boat as rafts
have a way of behaving contrary to expectations.

Warren & Pattie Updike
Catalina 320, #62, "Warr De Mar"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay