[C320-list] Ventilation Best Practices

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 23 16:18:48 PDT 2008

Hello Martin,

The best advice I received and applied is to keep a dry bilge whenever
practical, especially when away from the boat for an extended period of
time.

We sail Lake Erie, where we experience a storage season that may be nearly
as long as the sailing season and experience extreme humidity in the summer
and many inches of snow in the winter with the opportunity for condensation
to create mold and mildew problems in the summer and over the storage
season.

For a dry bilge I use flax packing (West Marine) impregnated with a
lubricant and also coat the packing and shaft (stainless steel) with packing
lubricant at before each launch season and re-tighten the packing. I have a
dry bilge with only a small amount of dampness seeping from the packing
gland.  I have had to add a ring of lubed packing every 4-6 years and have
had a dry bilge ever since. Shaft alignment is the key to reduced packing
wear and reduced water in the bilge over time.

Next, I check to make sure that there is no water collecting under the cabin
sole.  On my older model I had to cut removal sections of the sole near the
galley on my 95 model so I may check the inspection port into the hull to
see below the liner as water may enter the cabin and may find its way below
the liner if the hatches are left open by accident during a downpour. On my
older model with a shallow bilge I have had to block off the bilge beyond
the bilge pump area with no problems and do check for any moisture from the
keel section and the forward area where the speed and depth thru-hull
transducers are located.

Lastly, I vent the AC condensate overboard and remove any remaining
condensate with a fuel line bulb pump attached to a plastic tube positioned
to the lowest section of the AC condensate pan so that there is no water
left in the pan after we are under way or after we leave the boat for the
weekend.

We also leave the head door propped open with a bungee cord while away for
extended time.

Lastly, consider how the boat is stored for the winter season. I have found
that if I keep a poly tarp over the all hatches and port lights, including
the companion way hatch boards, I have no problems with moisture as we store
the boat outside with the mast up. I also allow the air to flow via the
stern bilge vents if I shift the aft cabin foam mattress and boards so as to
allow air flow from the stern vents to equalize the air temperature reducing
condensation in the cabin. All seat cushions are also left in a vertical
position while in storage to allow air to circulate.

After 14 seasons I have not experienced any mold or mildew. The boat still
has a fresh boat smell!

Rick

My-Ria
Hull # 277