[C320-list] Electrical Engine Alarm problem

Irving Grunes igrunes at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 06:04:15 PDT 2008

Bruce,
I first have assume that you can start and run the engine except without the
alarm going off.
When the engine is running, check to see if the Oil Pressure gage is
registering, because that would be an indication that the Oil Pressure
sensor is working.

If I remember correctly the alarm sounds under only two conditions, Low Oil
Pressure and High Water Temp.
The alarm is wired across the LOP and HWT lights

When you turn the key on, the LOP light should go on immediately. If it
lights, then there must be a bad connection between the light and the alarm,
because you said the alarm works when you ground it.

If the LOP light does not go on, then find the LOP sensor on the engine and
short it to ground at the engine.

If the LOP does not light,  then there is a problem with the wireing back to
engine box.  Most likely at the terminal board in the engine box.
If  the LOP light does go on and the alarm does sound when you short the
sensor, then the sensor is bad and needs to be replaced.

At the same time you are messing around, short the HWT sensor to make sure
it's light goes on and the alarm should sound as well

Irv Grunes #851