[C320-list] Edson pedestal throttle problem

Jack Fitzgibbon chuters at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 30 17:06:48 PDT 2008

There is technical information on the 320 web page that may help correct your situation.  Unfortunately I can't relocate the article.  We used it not to long ago it to fix a problem we had with our throttle lever slipping and not holding a selected position. We had to physically hold the throttle open to add RPM to the engine.  Once released the throttle would return to an idle setting.   Apparently, over time, the throttle lever gradually moves from its normal configuration and has to be readjusted.

This is the method I recall using to make the repair.  The throttle lever arm enters the inside of the binnacle housing and is located directly under the compass.  To get to the throttle linkage you must remove the compass. There are two screws that hold the collar around the compass at the light fixture.  Once the collar is removed you can access the 4 compass mounting screws that also need to be removed so you can lift the compass from it's installed location.  The compass light fixture electrical power cord is routed around the lower section of the compass and was long enough that I could set the compass down on the port cockpit cushion with a towel situated around the perimeter of the compass so it wouldn't roll of the seat.

The throttle linkage is clearly visible.  In our case there was a hex head set screw/bolt threaded into a collar around the throttle arm.  I loosened the bolt and the throttle re-seated itself in the full aft position.  I retightened the set screw/bolt making sure not to over tighten the set screw as the collar body is aluminum and over torquing the steel screw/bolt could strip the threads in the collar. It was recommended to use loctite as an added locking feature to prevent the problem from reoccurring.  Re-assemble in reverse order.

The next time we went for a sail we found the throttle operated normally.  I don't know if this will solve your problem but it may be worth the trouble shooting effort to try it first before attempting a more complex or expensive solution.

Jack
S/V Wetted Bliss