[C320-list] Leaking portlight

Jack McDonough mcdonough5 at verizon.net
Fri Apr 3 06:34:19 PDT 2009

When I think about it now, I'm astounded that the Navy is able to store that
enormous amount of food aboard -- let alone prepare it.  I don't think it
ever occurred to me when I was aboard. Mostly we just groused when we ran
out of fresh milk at sea and had to put up with the powdered stuff.

I do believe the Hornet was also an Essex class carrier, same as the Valley
Forge. Most of the carriers of that vintage were later refitted with a
"hurricane" (i.e. enclosed) bow, but not the Valley. As a consequence of
that lack of a refit, we had the port leading edge of our flight deck
dog-eared by a huge wave during a hurricane while operating off Virginia.
That earned us many weeks in the Brooklyn Naval Shipyard.

jack