[C320-list] Battery Isolation

Jeff Church jc387 at att.net
Wed Apr 8 17:58:36 PDT 2009

Good info. I looked all over for a Schottky diode isolator and didn't
find out that Guest made one. It also didn't occur to me that relay-type
devices could create RF noise. I just found the Guest unit (#2530) at
Pyacht.com for about $140.

I recently installed a Sure Power Schottky-diode isolator when I
installed a starting battery on my 387. According to several sources,
using an isolator is a better approach than using any of the combiners
or other relay-type devices. The biggest problem with a combiner/relay
is that when the charging device initially starts and the combiner
closes, the depleted house bank can immediately draw a lot of current
from the  starting battery. Some of the devices like the Echo Charger
might not operate that way, but you should check on that before buying
one. The advantage of the combiner is that it is easier to install and
less wire ($$) is required.

In order to install an isolator you will need to remove the wire that
connects the alternator to the starter motor, and run a #6 wire from the
alternator to the input terminal on the isolator. Then from the #1 and
#2 output terminals on the isolator you run wires to the battery switch
#1 and #2 terminals, or directly to the house and starting batteries.

Good luck.

JeffC