[C320-list] Used Boat Review

Andrew Santangelo andrew_santangelo at mac.com
Mon Apr 27 15:41:36 PDT 2009

Adam,

The maximum hull speed for the C320 is approximately 7.2 - 7.4 knots
depending on application of the formula.  The formula for Hull speed
is given as v = K * Sq. Root of LWL, where K is 1.34 - 1.51 kt-ft**-
(1/2).  Hence this will give a theoretical hull speed of the C320
between 7.1 - 8.0 kts.

With the fixed 3 blade prop I was getting consistently 7.2 knots at
3,000 RPM on calm waters in Lake Macatawa.  This compared well with
the GPS and the calibrated knot meter.  When I went to the Autoprop I
achieved 7.4 knots at 2,500 RPM with a clean hull, however 7.2 - 7.3
was more consistent.

Now have I gone faster?  Yes.  Twice using the Spinnaker broad
reaching in strong winds - 13.2 knots and another time around 11
knots.  A very wild ride.

I have also drifted backwards too - very dreadful!

But I stand by that 6 knots at 3,000 RPM - not good if this is the
standard performance.

Best Regards,
Andrew
C320 Dawn Treader