[C320-list] Yanmar Question -Assumed Fuel Injection Limiter Leak

Robert E. Sloat resloat at comcast.net
Fri Aug 21 09:36:55 PDT 2009

Mike-I don't think it is a pressure relief valve.  I am away from my 320
with the same
engine and only have the factory service manual to work with.  The factory
service manual shows are two caps right next to each other. It looks like
each has wires either to the cap or to the lock nut below the cap. One of
the caps
is on the top and points up and one sticks out horizontally pointing
forward. The threaded shaft underneath each of these cap nuts is preset at
the factory and locked in place with the lock nuts underneath the cap nut.
The wires are used to keep them from being changed unintentionally.

The one on the top is the no-load maximum speed limiter which is set at the
factory during bench testing and looks like it limits the regulator lever
below it.  It is not clear if this cap connects to any part of the fuel pump
where fuel may be.

The one sticking out pointing forward is the fuel injector limiter.

Per my service manual at pages 4-2, 9 and 11, the one pointing forward has a
seal washer between the cap nut and a lock nut and a seal washer between the
lock nut and the injector pump body or engine block.  I assume that one is
leaking as there are sealing washers used.

>From the drawings, you can tighten the sealing washer between the cap nut
and the lock nut by
putting a wrench on the lock nut, holding it in place and tightening the cap
nut.  If the cap nut is not
tightened on the seal  then I would think this would stop fuel leakage.

Be careful as underneath this cap is a shaft that you use to adjust fuel
metering and things get very complicated if this is misadjusted. If the lock
nut is loose, you should tighten it after taking off the cap nut while
preventing the shaft it is attached to from turning.

Hopefully this helps.

Bob Sloat
Savannah Hull 894