[C320-list] Engine oil usage

Ed Edwards edandsue.pt at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 23:06:36 PDT 2009

I am curious about my engine oil consumpyion.  REBOUND is is hull # 347 with
a Yanmar 3GM.  I have 1400 hours and it has been maintained professionally.
It runs great, I had the MAX-prop repitched with a max rpm of 3600 and I
cruise at 2800 rpms.  My mechanic isn't concerned about the oil usage, which
has been consistant since I got the boat 4 years ago, 400 hours ago.  I am
going through a little more than 1 ounce per cruising (motoring) hour.  This
seems a little excessive to me, more than anything its just a pain topping
of every day or two when we are cruising.  Most of the time it's not a big
issue when I'm motoring out into the bay and back for a race.

I use Delo SAE 100 - 30.

Does this consumption  rate sound normal.  I'm not too worried yet but when
my oil consumption exceeds my beer consumption, I'll be forced into action.

Ed Edwards,  REBOUND  #347