[C320-list] Lights, binacle, props and batteries

Brad Kuether bkuether at comcast.net
Tue Aug 25 19:40:48 PDT 2009

Agree with the comment on the value of this list and everyone having the same (almost) boat more or less.

It has been very helpful to me.  And now I come back to the well again for the collective knowledge.....  :)

LED replacement bulbs

I wanted to get back to the subject of LEDs.  It is apparent that the different models of 320s have had different light fixtures.  The lights in my main cabin have a reflector that is "part" of the hockey puck fixture and the replacement part is a two prong halogen bulb.   I am pretty sure it is called a "G4".  Here is a picture.
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-54258538930337_2066_1934154

 It is not as I thought an MR 16.  I pulled the bulb out and put it back in.

I am looking at this bulb as an LED replacement:
http://www.marinebeam.com/g4mitopefort.html

Also for the rear cabin lights I have reading lamps and I "think" I can put these in them....
http://www.marinebeam.com/g4ledbu4smdr.html

Any thoughts on these from a later model 320 perspective?

Binnacle - Autopilot stop.

The stop on my Raymarine autopilot (the finger mounted on the binnacle that keeps the whole unit from spinning) is loose.  The 4 self tapping sheet metal screws have worked loose and now have nothing left to bite into on the binnacle.  The options I have are to:
  1..  Go "up" in side with the sheet metal screws, from a 10 to a 12. (and use loctite)
  2.. Put in "Self tapping/threading machine screws, hoping the tighter threads will help. (and use loctite)
  3.. Open the holes WAY up and use a rubber "blind fastener". (no loctite needed)
Anyone face this dilemma and how did you solve it?

Prop

I had Independence out in light air last weekend.  While the performance wasn't bad, it still felt like I had a parachute attached.  My slip mate put a KIWI feathering prop on his boat and he LOVES it.  I wrote the company and they said "Catalina owners love us".  He sent me a list but I didn't recognize any of the names or haven't seen them frequently enough.  Does anyone on the list have a KIWI prop mated to their Yanmar 3GM or 3YM motor?  And how do you like it?

My main concern is light air performance as I sail in the light air sailing capital, "Chesapeake Bay".  But am also interested how well it backs up and if it has helped in that aspect as well.

Batteries

I had asked a while back about how to leave the boat plugged in with the fridge running.  The feedback I got was "refrigerator running, battery charger on, battery switch on both."

While down at the dock my neighbor said "Yes, but turn the battery switch to 1 or 2 but not both as it will cause a short."

Any thoughts or wisdom on this?  I freaked out last night after thinking about it and ran down this afternoon to shut the whole thing down.  (Boo, now I will have warm beer....)

I just don't want to burn up my batteries or burn the boat to the water line.

Thanks again for all the help and guidance.  Every day I learn a little more and get more comfortable.

-Brad, Mary, Monica, and Jarod
"Independence"
2004 Catalina 320 Hull 1006
Middle River, MD