[C320-list] FW: Cabin ventilation over winter

Martin Bayly mbayly at telus.net
Mon Aug 31 08:51:32 PDT 2009

Proper cabin ventilation is something I still have not really addressed and
as we move into summer's end and the boat is going to be used less
frequently, it's moving to the top of my To Do list again.

I've been considering investing in a couple of Nicro solar vents.  But not
sure of the best place to install them.  I don't like the idea of cutting
into the deck so thinking of installing into the hatches.  Maybe a small one
in the head hatch and a larger one in the hatch over the saloon.  But not
sure how well a solar powered vent will perform over the winter in not so
sunny Vancouver, BC.

I was at a friend's boat over the weekend and he's come up with what I
thought was a novel system for venting  during extended absences.
He bought a standard ceiling extractor fan and hose from Home Depot, created
a box for it and hard wired it with a plug.  Then he just plugs it in and
attaches the hose to a cracked open portlight.

I was thinking I could build one of those and maybe even install a passive
style Nicro vent in the aft cabin hatch to which I could attach the exhaust
hose.  Not sure if there is a overheating/fire risk from running one of
those extractor fans 24/7, but you could probably just plug it into a timer
to give it a rest and keep the electricity bills down.

Any comments/insights?

Cheers
Martin
Serendipity #1023