[C320-list] Anchor Nav lights out

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Tue Aug 4 11:15:39 PDT 2009

When more than one circut goes out at once, look for a problem in a
common leg -- usually the ground return.  Of course the other
possibility is that you might just be unlucky and had two failures.

Either way, start by checking to make sure you have voltage between
ground and the hot side of the switch for each circuit with the circuit
off.  Should be ~12v.  Then turn the switch on and check again.  If the
voltage stays at 12v then there is a break in the path, which could be
the bulb, but not necessarily.  If, on the other hand, the voltage drops
then there is current flowing and the most likely problem is a loose
connection somewhere that is letting some power through, but not enough
to light the bulbs.

Loose connections can be very hard to track down, and require thinking
outside the box. I once had a bizarre situation (not on my 320) where
the master ground connection between the panel and the battery failed,
which produced the bizzare effect that turning on almost any light while
the engine was off would result in (a) a dim light; and (b) the oil
pressure alarm on the engine would go off.  The current from the light
was finding an indirect path to ground through the common but
disconnected ground bus, "reversing" from there through the windings of
the bilge blower motor, to the unenergized terminal on the back of the
ignition switch, then "forward" again to the oil alarm, to the oil
pressure sensor, to the engine block, and from there to battery ground.
  Good luck!

Different boats have different masthead fittings so there is no
universal answer to your question about the LED anchor light.  I found
one that matched my boat at Mastlight.com.

Scott Thompson
Surprise, 653

--
Scott Thompson