[C320-list] LED field test

Jon Vez jonvez at comcast.net
Wed Aug 5 15:56:58 PDT 2009

Using Karl's invaluable research I bought several LED's before our summer
cruise and here is what I found:

I bought 2 MR-16's and 1 Luxeon spot light for the main cabin from
LEDWholesalers (non-marine). Although I was a bit skeptical with dealing
with the company, they delivered--right before our trip. They worked as
advertised. The light quality is excellent and they are inexpensive. I
believe I paid less than $60 for all three. However, they do produce
significant radio interference.

I also bought a MR-11 for the aft cabin reading light from Marine Beam based
on Orlando's recommendations. This is an excellent light and the company is
great to deal with. However, this light alone was $24.

When looking on the Marine Beam website I came across an interesting PDF
explaining the pros/cons of different LED's--it's obviously meant as a
marketing tool as they warn against 'chinese made' LED's, etc. However there
is some valuable information describing why some lights are more expensive.
They warn of interference and I did find that the LED Wholesale lights do
produce significant interference--like forget about listening to the radio,
whereas the MB light produced no interference. Both sets of lights are
extremely efficient--.1 to .2 amp hours--and overall I'm happy with
them...just thought I'd pass my experience on for those looking to upgrade
your lighting....

Regards,

Jon Vez
Solstice #582