[C320-list] LED field test

Karl Mielenhausen _/) c320 at suddenlink.net
Fri Aug 7 10:59:32 PDT 2009

The marinebeam.com white paper (they call it an Idiot's Guide) is indeed
interesting reading and I will incorporate some of it into my upcoming
Mainsheet article on LEDs, particularily the cautions about providing
over-current (ie. too much voltage) to the bulbs.

One key learning is that just because a bulb is sold for marine
applications, doesn't mean that it is current controlled. One example is
the Swego G4 bulb, which Swego reports as being resistor controlled.

Only time will tell how the cheaper alternatives hold up but I have no
interest in paying 2-3X more for exactly the same technology, just because
it has a "marine" label.

--
Karl Mielenhausen
Catalina 320 Hull 690