[C320-list] A Diesel Fuel Tank Leak

Chris Burti clburti at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 19:45:45 PDT 2009

A few quick answers to help you look for the problem.

1. No warranty any longer at this point. If it is, in fact, a manufacturing
defect, Catalina is famous for its responsive customer service. Note that it
is highly unlikely for a defect to take this long to show up, if not unheard
of. Yes, it can start to leak more noticably when you are away from the
boat.

2. Most likely culprits for leaks are the conections for the fuel line,
return line,  fill hose and vent hose.

3. Next most likely culprits would be filters and bleed screws.

4. Next would be the hoses and lines themselves.

5. Last option might be a leak in the tank at a weld, a wear point if
something is rubbing or on rare occasion spot corrosion.
Any good degreaser like Simple Green will clean up diesel fuel and a final
wipe with clorox wipes will attack the smell.

--
Chris Burti Farmville, NC