[C320-list] A Diesel Fuel Tank Leak

Jon Vez jonvez at comcast.net
Tue Aug 11 04:36:14 PDT 2009

My fuel tank leaked after about 8 seasons. The first thing to do would be to
get some oil absorber pads and place them forward of the tank. This will
keep the fuel from continuing to build in the bilge. If you remove the board
over your aft water tank you will be able to slide a few pads right up to
the front of the tank. This will also show you what side of the tank the
leak is coming from (and verify it is the fuel tank). Mine was a very slow
leak, so I spent weeks trying (hoping) it was hoses, filters etc. At the
end, I bought a new tank from Catalina (as I recall it was about $450 or so)
and replaced it. The job is fairly easy and straightforward and if you end
up going this route, I will be happy to give the specifics on this job. The
leak ended up being a pin hole in the fwd corner weld of the tank. They can
be repaired, but it wasn't worth it in my opinion as they supposedly have a
life of 7-10 years (although most last much longer)....good luck...

Regards,

Jon Vez
Solstice #582