[C320-list] Raymarine GPS fix?

Jon Vez jonvez at comcast.net
Wed Aug 19 13:06:57 PDT 2009

Jeff,

I don't believe this has anything to do with it, but I recently read a very
sobering article regarding the state of the GPS satellites. Apparently most
are past there designed life and although the system was designed to have 4
satellites as spares, some have failed. The replacement satellites are well
behind schedule and due to budget issues the timeline is something like 2014
at the earliest for replacements--at which time the system may no longer be
operable. There is talk about using the Russian satellites if there is a
gap...not sure if others have heard this, but if true, we may be back to DR
(exclusively) soon ;) I think the article was in a recent Sail or Cruising
world....

Regards,

Jon Vez
Solstice #582