[C320-list] Knot meter cleaning.... In water?

Jack McDonough mcdonough5 at verizon.net
Sun Aug 23 10:24:25 PDT 2009

Warren:

I don't know about Chesapeake Bay, but in New England ocean water our knot
meter (hull #914) works only about 15 percent of the time, mostly after I've
pulled the transducer and cleaned the impeller. And even when it's working,
I don't believe it. The GPS shows SOG numbers that are always one or two
knots higher than the knotmeter reads. (OK guys, please no e-mail telling me
that SOG is different, etc. etc.) I prefer to believe I'm going faster. I
think one problem with the system is that the impeller is too small and,
therefore, gets gummed up more easily and frequently. The knotmeter on our
Cape Dory 30 failed, too, but with nowhere near the frequency of the 320.
And the CD had a larger impeller.

jack