[C320-list] Knot meter cleaning.... In water?

Andrew Santangelo andrew_santangelo at mac.com
Sun Aug 23 13:04:50 PDT 2009

Wow...

This is an interesting discussion and something new to me.

When on the Great Lakes the ONLY time the knot meter failed was when
the boat yard broke it!  We will see how the knot meter functions over
time in SFO harbor.

I do like know the True Wind, VMG and currents.  Also, the knot meter
is rather instantaneous with its data - there is a lag with a GPS.

Also, knowing the true wind allows me to gauge the sails I want to
use.  Sure, I can approximate with the apparent wind, but it is nice
to know the true wind.

Also, I found knowing the VMG, currents and their direction helped in
planning a course to sail.

It all boils down to situational awareness - the more information you
have, the more you can plan.  NOW if you are out for a purely fun
sail, the basics are only important. But for racing, extended cruising
and navigation I would prefer to have as much knowledge as possible.

Best Regards,
Andrew

C320 "Dawn Treader"

On Aug 23, 2009, at 1:34 PM, Dave Rabinowitz wrote:

> i, too, tired of cleaning the knotmeter impeller.  The GPS Speed Over
> Ground (SOG) was just fine for me, but the numbers were too small to
> read
> (GPSMap 478) from my side seat, and as pointed out, the "true wind"
> calculations were missing.  Sooo, what I did was install a CruzPro
> SOG1 (
> http://www.cruzpro.com/sog1.html ).  This little box takes the SOG
> data from
> the gps (on the NMEA 0183 output) and converts it to "paddle wheel"
> pulses.
> So the knotmeter (and the other instruments) thinks there is a working
> paddle wheel out there, allowing true wind and other things to work.
> It fit
> right in the instrument housing, no problem.  You have to be a bit
> careful
> with the wiring, but it isn't difficult.
>
> Now i can see my speed on the knotmeter, and have true wind
> functionality.
> Yes, purists will argue that SOG is not speed thru the water, and
> they would
> be correct.  However, when trimming sails, or just looking and going
> "hey,
> we're doing 5 knots with just the main", it all works out :-)
>
> dave
> wind chill
>

> On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 1:24 PM, Jack McDonough <mcdonough5 at verizon.net
> >wrote:
>
>> Warren:
>>
>> I don't know about Chesapeake Bay, but in New England ocean water
>> our knot
>> meter (hull #914) works only about 15 percent of the time, mostly
>> after I've
>> pulled the transducer and cleaned the impeller. And even when it's
>> working,
>> I don't believe it. The GPS shows SOG numbers that are always one
>> or two
>> knots higher than the knotmeter reads. (OK guys, please no e-mail
>> telling me
>> that SOG is different, etc. etc.) I prefer to believe I'm going
>> faster. I
>> think one problem with the system is that the impeller is too small
>> and,
>> therefore, gets gummed up more easily and frequently. The knotmeter
>> on our
>> Cape Dory 30 failed, too, but with nowhere near the frequency of
>> the 320.
>> And the CD had a larger impeller.
>>
>> jack
>>

>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Warren Updike" <wupdike at hotmail.com

>>> wind
>>> if you have such an instrument. My wind inst. only works twice a
>>> season