[C320-list] Knot meter cleaning.... In water?

Fred Grimann fgrimann at vcc.ca
Sun Aug 23 14:37:38 PDT 2009

To free up the paddle wheel, besides removing it from the bilge, we use one of our long docking lines.
One person holds one end of the line at port or starboard front deck and the second person drops the mid portion of the line over the bow wile holding the other end of the line. Take up the slack and seesaw the line to wards the mast going over the paddle wheel. the boat should be moving at about 1 to 2 knots. Do not let go of line - it may encounter the prop! Usually it frees the wheel the first time, noticed by a reading on the meter. If not seesaw back to the bow.
You also remove the line by bringing one side around the bow. This way there are no loose ends to tangle with the prop.

Fred G
Tenacity #69

>>> "Brad Kuether" <bkuether at comcast.net> 08/22/09 6:00 PM >>>
Hello everyone,

Well the Chesapeake has already claimed it first victim on my boat.  The paddle wheel for the knot meter stopped turning.  I was thinking I could dive on the boat in shallow water (would have to buy a mask, etc)
OR possibly pulling the knot meter while its in the water....  (of course plugging the hole for a bit.

Any thoughts on this, besides "be careful not to sink" ?

If its possible and does the water just drain to the bilge?

Thanks for any guidance.....

-Brad, Mary, Monica, and Jarod
"Independence"
2004 Catalina 320 Hull 1006