[C320-list] dreaded winterization /// Some additional winterization notes and steps to recover antifreeze from the water system

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 31 13:07:56 PDT 2009

Scott,

I agree with Jim, recovering the antifreeze beats having to replace the hot
water heater or repair a break in the lines in the spring if you do not get
all of the water out of the water system by blowing air through the lines.
The challenge is being sure that the hot water tank is clear of all water or
be sure that the hot water tank has sufficient antifreeze to avoid a leak in
the spring.

Recovering antifreeze from the water system is something I have done for 14
winterization seasons and experienced no problems with the winterization
process come spring time when I place water back in the system. Up here on
Lake Erie we experience -10 to -20 degree winters so it is imperative to
complete the winterization processes without errors.

1. One must be sure to run both the forward and the rear water tanks dry
before adding antifreeze to avoid antifreeze dilution.

2. If the boat is still in the water, I place a gallon of antifreeze in the
empty rear water tank first before draining that tank and then switching to
the forward water tank. I add about 8 gallons of antifreeze to the empty
forward tank. (I place two gallons in the empty rear tank if the boat is on
the hard due to the bow being raised to ensure that water drains aft out of
the cockpit.)

3. It takes about 9 gallons of antifreeze to initially winterize the water
system and one may recover about 5-6 of the 9 gallons of antifreeze by not
running the water pump longer than it takes to see a strong stream of pink
before turning off each cold side faucet beginning with the longest runs
first, such as the stern shower and then the head sink for the cold side
before turning off the water pump. Drain the water from hot water tank as
Jim explained before addressing the hot water side by running a drain hose
form the bottom of the hot water tank to the bilge.

4. After draining the hot water tank of water, turn on the water pump to
fill the hot water tank with remaining antifreeze from the forward tank and
when the water pump stops filling the hot water tank, run antifreeze through
the hot water side again with the longest runs first beginning with the
stern shower hot water side and then the head hot water side.

5. Last steps: be sure to place a jug under the galley faucet hot side to
collect the remaining antifreeze from the forward tank before running the
forward tank dry. The last step is to run the drain hose from the hot water
tank drain to your empty anti-freeze bottles that I place in the bilge area.
I fill one after the next until draining the hot water tank of recovered
antifreeze which I save for the following season.

The loss of about 3 gallons of antifreeze for the complete water system
winterization is due to the antifreeze that is lost when running the faucets
pink, the amount left in the longer water lines that run from the water pump
to the faucets and then there is about a gallon or so that will not
completely drain from the hot water tank.  In fact, that last gallon of
water from the hot water tank is the reason that some who have had problems
in the spring from a leaking hot water tank when not using antifreeze in
their hot water tanks.

Additional winterization notes:

1. Do not forget to suck some antifreeze into the head once the boat is on
the hard. I use a hose with one end tapered with duck tape jammed up the
head thru hull and the other end placed in a half gallon of pink antifreeze.
Pump the antifreeze into the head and then pump it to the holding tank. Be
sure to also place antifreeze in the shower sump and run the sump briefly.

2. It takes about 3 gallons of -100 degree antifreeze to winterize the
engine by placing the intake hose from the engine side of the strainer in
the bucket of antifreeze and running the engine for about 45 seconds to a
minute or until the bucket is empty. Do not forget to empty the engine
strainer of water.

3. If you have an AC/Heat unit, it takes about a half a gallon of -60 degree
antifreeze to winterize the Air/Heat unit by filling the water exit hose
with antifreeze and blowing air in that same AC water exit hose to force the
antifreeze back through AC system so that the antifreeze exits out of AC
water pump entry point at the AC thru hull. Don't forget to empty the AC
pump strainer.

4. Flushing the hot water tank in the spring by draining the hot water tank
2 or 3 times (reattach a drain hose from the hot water tank to the bilge)
clears out the taste of the antifreeze.

DIY winterization can save several hundreds dollars each season and you then
know the job was done correctly!

Rick
My-Ria
Hull #277