[C320-list] 1995 C320 Aqua Lift Muffler & Elbow

djgleason1 djgleason1 at juno.com
Wed Dec 2 19:12:23 PST 2009

Rollie:

The muffler was designed to be held down on only three corners.  I would
not suggest your modifying it!  Our 1994, #150 started leaking at the
bottom seam about 6 years ago.  I had it repaired twice by a fiberglass
shop and I did a repair once myself.  I think part of the problem is that
vibration between the engine and the fixed muffler is what caused the
seperations.  I think by your tightening the screws, you might be adding
to the problem.  On the replacement muffler, I did not attach it to the
platform it sits on.  The two hoses attached to it hold it in place.  I
placed a thin foam pad underneath the muffler to avoid abrasion/chaffing
of the muffler or platform.

The hose you describe with the 3" bulb in it I think is designed to
absorbe some of the vibrations.  I had looked at them when I made the
replacement, but decided to leave the muffler "float" to avoid putting
stress on the muffler.  I believe it was referred to as a Hump Hose.

Dave Gleason
Proud Mary, #150