[C320-list] draft...again

Amirault Family - S&B amiraults at sympatico.ca
Tue Dec 15 17:23:17 PST 2009

As I grow older, I tend to believe things that I only think I read somewhere
even if I can no longer identify the reference.

The draft on the C320 went to 4'10'' when the bilge got deeper while the
cast keel remained the same. Part way through the 2001 run Catalina
rationalized their manufacture by applying the shorter C310 keel to the C320
hull; both streamlining the manufacturing process all around and returning
the C320 draft to 4'4''.

I have a 2001 build, hull #797. It is 4'10'' 'cause my pre-purchase surveyor
measured it and reported it as such. When I ordered a folding cradle in
advance of its delivery I told the maker to take special note that the draft
was 4'10''. They followed current specification from Catalina and made me a
4'4'' model anyway. I leave the boat delivery day adventure to your
imaginations.

Brian Amirault
797 Waltzing Bear, too