[C320-list] ladder weld failure

sail0983 sail0983 at aol.com
Tue Dec 29 02:48:46 PST 2009

I had the same problem when my boat was only 2 years old.  It has now been 3 years and the repair seem to be holding fine.

Dave Marchant
Illumination #983
Solomons, MD

From:   "Pat Ireland" <cherie320 at gmail.com>
Subject:    Re: [C320-list] ladder weld failure
Date:   December 29, 2009 2:15:43 AM EST
To: C320-List at catalina320.com
We found that the welds on the top step of our companionway ladder were
broken. The step is bolted to two tangs that are welded to the ladder
frame. There are four short welds that secure the rear end of the tangs to
the cross tube. While the welds on the front of the top step wrap around
the tang end to form a long bead, the welds on the back of the top step are
quite short. It was an easy fix for the local yard, but worth checking, if
the top step flexes when you step on it.

Pat and Nancy Ireland - Cherie, #801