[C320-list] New Cruising Mailsail

Andrew Santangelo andrew_santangelo at mac.com
Mon Feb 9 18:43:48 PST 2009

Jeff,

The foot of the sail provides minimal strength to the boom in the case
of an accidental jibe.  Hence if your boom is going to break do not
count on the main for strength.  However, if you are in heavy seas/
air, your main is likely reefed anyways so the loose foot is a non-
issue.  And if a squall is coming on you, you should be prepared for
managing the situation (batten hatches, reef or drop main, furl head
sail).

We have a good track record monitoring the weather for squalls, and
certainly the radar tracks them well too.  As they say in Boy Scouts -
Be Prepared!

In 8-10 years with my sails I have not had a problem.   I have used my
sails - and boat -  in very heavy air 45 kts sustained and at one
point an 80 kt squall.  I have also have sail the vessel for a long
duration (24 hours) in 25 kts of wind.  Sails, boom and boat did very
well. Crew - well that depends!

All things being equal, the loose footed main will give you overall
better performance and control than a non-loose footed sail.  Better
performance for racing or cruising, and something for the captain/crew
to play with.  ;-)

The UK Gold Tape Drive sails are made of Kevlar and Technora.  The UK
light air genoa is made of Spectra and kevlar.  Like I said in my last
email the sails have been used in a range of conditions for the last
8-10 years and are in great shape still.   They have tolerated luffing
very well, and have tolerated crew abuse very well.  I have learned
that a crew does not love the boat the same as the owner!

One last item - I did get rid of the dutchman system when I went to
the racing sails, but you can certainly use it with your own
configuration.  We chose not too.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Andrew