[C320-list] Bilge Pump Question

John Frost john at frostnet.net
Fri Feb 13 15:46:26 PST 2009

I have always heard it is not good to have a check valve in the bilge hose
because it increases the chance of blockage at just the wrong time.
There are two ways I have seen to minimize the "backwash" problem.

One is to mount a second very small pump with its float lower than the main
pump's. Use a similarly small outlet hose to the overboard dump. The smaller
hose will hold much less water to "backwash" and the big pump and hose is
still there when needed. I guess you could safely put a check valve in the
small line since the big one is there if needed.

The other is to trigger your existing pump with one of the electronic (no
float) sensors that run the pump for a few second after the bilge is empty.
It is not long enough to damage the pump, but it does tend to blow the
remaining water out of the hose.

John Frost
2007 C320 MKII, Hull # 1118
Lake Guntersville, AL