[C320-list] Keel Ground or Zinc?

argates2nd at comcast.net argates2nd at comcast.net
Sun Feb 15 05:40:43 PST 2009

I recently used the Assn torque wrench on my wing keel nuts and 8 of the ten torqued to 235 ft. lbs.  I went in a shallow slip and torqued once resting on the bottom at low tide.

The other two are badly corroded and will not budge so far.  Yesterday I tried an impact wrench at 425 ft lbs from a rolling compressor!

I have been applying liquid wrench for a week and naval jelly.  Yesterday I had a local suggestion of Coca Cola for 4-5 hours and then torch heat (if that works I am giving up drinking coke).

It appears that the corrosion is due to electrolysis, or the two are not 316 SS.  Our bronze shaft zinc lasts well (more than a year) and we are in a large marina.

Have others grounded their keel or put a zinc on the keel?  If so, what is the process?

Rollie    #182      Charlotte Harbor, FL

p.s.  the 1" 316 SS nuts have 8 threads per inch and are $6 from our local industrial supplier in Punta Gorda, and the Assn socket is 1 1/2" but I am now using a

         1 3/8" socket since chipping away corrosion.