[C320-list] Yamaha EF2400 iS portable generator

warren updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 18 14:53:20 PST 2009

The recommended capacity of a shore powered charger is dependent on a number
of factors including how the boat is used. While too little will require
excessive time to fully charge, too much may be wasteful in that high output
chargers are costly.  Nigel Calder's, "Boatowners Electrical and Electrical
Manual," has an extensive discussion on this.  The bottom line is that with
a "smart" 3-stage charger, a battery bank not discharged more than 50%, wet
cell batteries will not accept a charge rate much above 25% of the Amp hour
capacity.  For me, with about 400Ah of house bank capacity, that means
anything more than 50A will not help. My shore charge is 50A, but is older
and has not a 3-stage controller.  Therefore, I don't rely on it to bring my
batteries to float stage. My alternator I run at 80A max. with a 3-stage
charger and will fully charge the batteries given enough running time.

So, it's possible that a 20A smart charger is sufficient. It's also possible
that it's not.

Warren & Pattie Updike
Catalina 320, #62, "Warr De Mar"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay