[C320-list] Rub Rail Glue?

Pat Moriarty patm at psiurethanes.com
Tue Jan 13 05:30:29 PST 2009

I replaced mine last year ok 2007. Had a problem with Catalina they
sent out some out of spec material and tried to tell me that  was
just the way it comes. Since I am in a similar business I informed
them that their supplier was screwing them and they needed an new
supplier. I sent back two samples which were something like .125"
difference in width which made one side fit fine and the other fall
out just looking at it. Well Jerry had the engineer call me to
resolve it and sent me a apology letter thanking me for bring it to
their attention. They sent the new rail insert and it is installed
and has not come out yet. All vinyl will shrink with age as the
plastisizers come out of them so what fits now will be smaller in a
number of years depending on temp and sunlight mainly. I only had the
old insert come out when rafted up and the fenders would pull it out,
sure looks tacky sailing along with the grey snake in the water.

Pat #130

At 04:06 PM 1/12/2009, you wrote:
>It will be interesting to see what comes back on this topic. I
>suspect glue is not the answer. I doubt any glue would keep it
>in-place given enough pressure. A glue would just make replacing it
>more of an issue.
>
>I have a similar problem. I usually just pound it back in-place
>until the next event. I suspect the material is old and no longer
>able to hold its proper shape being easily stretched and not easily
>returning to proper length. The aluminum track is not deformed, but
>the rail now comes out easily.
>
>Has anyone out there replaced the rub rail? At what age was it
>replaced? At what cost? Where bought?
>
>Warren & Pattie Updike
>Catalina 320, #62, "Warr De Mar"
>Middle River, Chesapeake Bay