[C320-list] TV antenna recommendations?

warren updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 17 13:39:34 PST 2009

I haven't yet found an LCD TV in the 15"-19" range that has a digital tuner.
Not that they aren't out there, I understood that the smaller TVs didn't
have them. Now that the broadcast world is going digital, perhaps that will
change.

I know of 3 approaches on antennas:
1) a fixed, mast-top 360 deg., powered unit like the Glomex. That requires
in-mast wiring.
2) a rigable 360 deg., un-powered wire unit that is easily rigged at
anchor/slip. Someone at our marina has an internet source for these, and a
number of people there are using them. Hoist it on a halyard.
3) a rigable or fixed, digital, powered unit.

For 3), I bought a GE outdoor digital antenna at Home Depot, about $45.
Currently, I rig it when needed; but, intend to mount it on a spreader and
feed the cable through the mast next time the mast is down. This is a small
unit about the size of a pint whiskey bottle. It is powered by an AC feed
converted to 5V DC, and fed into the coax. Instructions say some TVs provide
a 5V feed on the coax connection in which case the transformer is not
needed. Gives very nice reception.

The coax from the antenna goes to the antenna power transformer unit, then
to the A/D converter box, then to the TV.

So, now I have an AC lead from the TV, AC lead from the A/D converter, and
an AC lead from the antenna transformer. To make it easier to switch from
shore power to 12V, I made a small box with a 3-wire power cord and a 4-gang
receptacle into which I plug all of the AC leads for the TV stuff. My little
400W inverter is very near the TV and an AC boat receptacle. When on shore
power, the cord from the box is plugged into the Boat AC. When at sea, it's
plugged into the inverter.

I tried back-feeding the inverter into the boat AC via the outlet above the
nav table. This was a mistake as this outlet is a GFCI outlet and they don't
like power feeding from the outside. Actually, it fried that outlet and the
one in the galley, as well as frying my microwave transformer. Bummer.

As for A/D converter (analog-to-digital,) most are the form factor of a DVD
unit. I thought that too big and researched many available. I found one that
is very compact 6-1/2" wide, 4" deep, 1" high. It's the "Artec T3A Pro."  I
plan to Velcro it over the port shelf at the nav table. My TV is installed
over the nav table on an articulating arm so it folds back nicely.

Warren & Pattie Updike
Catalina 320, #62, "Warr De Mar"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay