[C320-list] Fwd: Engine problems

Karl Mielenhausen _/) c320 at suddenlink.net
Sun Jan 18 06:41:09 PST 2009

John,

Please let us know what you actually find out... it would make a good
article for the technical section of Mainsheet.

I would have thought about something on the shaft or prop first also,
especially if the engine runs OK out of gear. Of course that could just be
due to less hp demand (load).
What was your engine water temp doing through all of this? If it was high
and you could not develop full power and had a rough idle, that might
point to a clogged injector.

I'd bet on fuel contamination, however, especially that was the "last
thing that changed" in your cause and effect analysis. The fill-up may
have added water or algae or stirred something up in the tank (less
likely).

Over the past 2 years, I've been using a product called Algae-X and have
been quite satisfied.
http://www.algae-x.net/pdf/AFC%20705-805_spec_%20sheet.pdf
It has the added advantage of adding lubricity to the fuel. This can be
important if you are using ultra-low sulfur fuel.

Now I am trying a less expensive and more readily available product called
Diesel Kleen (Auto stores, Walmart, etc).
http://www.powerservice.com/dk/
and also adding the very popular Starbrite Biocide
http://www.starbrite.com/sproductdetail.cfm?ID=1538

Together they should do the same job.

Best regards....
--
Karl Mielenhausen
Catalina 320 Hull 690

Join us August 7-9, 2009 at Marina Del Rey, CA for our annual Catalina 320
IA Regatta and Annual Meeting.