[C320-list] Engine problems

Larry Frank WindSwept at stx.rr.com
Mon Jan 19 07:14:59 PST 2009

John,

I didn't see how your sail went after draining the water.  I hope this
solved your problem.

I have the 30B in WindSwept and have experienced the exact same symptoms as
you have.  In my case I did not have any water in the fuel filter.  I was
changing filters after 10 hours of running.  The problem also seemed to be
worse with a very low level in the fuel tank which seems to support dirty
fuel theories.  I dissected one of the filters and there was no sign or dirt
or any thing plugging it us - although I don't know if the microorganisms
would be visible.

I checked the troubleshooting section of the engine manual and it listed the
fuel pump a possible cause of the problem.  I replaced mine and the problem
seems to be solved.

I did take the old pump home and it would "run" when attached to a 12V
battery.  I think it is a diaphragm pump and the diaphragm may be damaged so
running may not equal pumping.

I learned much during this troubleshooting process.  I was very surprised to
find the engine would run without the electric fuel pump running!  At least
at idle.  I unbolted it from the engine and disconnected the positive 12V
lead and the engine started and ran.

Second I learned that the way the fuel pump is wired it normally runs when
the engine is running using current supplied by the oil pressure sender and
it also runs when you turn the ignition switch to the preheat setting.

The pump does not run when the ignition key is in the on position and the
engine is not running.