[C320-list] Garhauer Genoa Cars

Allan S. Field allan.field at verizon.net
Tue Jan 20 17:10:24 PST 2009

Gary - I first saw the adjustable cars at a Rendezvous and immediately
recognized that this was a major upgrade.  If nothing else, when reefing the
genoa, you stay in the cockpit while the cars are moved forward.  This alone
made them worth the price for us.

As for a boom preventer, I have written before about a method I learned from
Orlando.  I am pasting what I posted following.  Following the first posting
is an additional posting.

Post #1 - Sea Shadow is rigged for downwind sailing differently than is War
De Mar and I will try to describe what we did.  Note that the idea for this
came from Orlando Duran - I give him credit the first 2 times I share this
then the idea is all mine!

The boom sheet on our boats runs thru 2 blocks.  On the aft most block, I
hung a long shackle from the bail that the block attaches to.  This
Shackle is probably 3 inches long.  From each of the forward deck cleats, I
hung long shackles probably about 4 inches long and hung a single block off
each one of them.  The reason for the long shackles here is to leave room
for mooring lines.  Moving aft, I hung a single block on the base of  each
stanchion port and starboard sides.

At the base of the forward part of each side of the aft
wraparound-stanchion, I attached a block with cam cleat.

Now for the rigging.  I have 2 preventer lines, one for port, the other for
starboard (red line for port, green for starboard).  I went to West Marine's
rigger and had him splice on the end of each preventer line a heavy duty
snap shackle, the kinds with the spring loaded snaps.  These 2
Shackles are then attached to the long shackle on the mast bail previously
installed (see above).  The preventer lines then run forward to the blocks
on the forward cleats then back through the blocks at the base of the
stanchions and through the block with a cam cleat.  Once set-up, I can
control the boom 100% from the cockpit.

I am a bit uncomfortable with the preventer lines coming back only to the
aft-most boom bail.  I would much prefer that they come all the way
back like Warren has done.  That will be a winter project to figure out how
to do this better but without interfering with the dodger.

Unlike Warren, I was hesitant to use the anchor roller for any of this.
Worst case scenario on Sea Shadow is that the boom breaks/bends mid-boom or
a deck cleat pulls out.  Worst case scenario on War De Mar is the anchor
plate gives way, the forestay breaks and the mast comes down.
(NOTE: I hung a block off the anchor bail and run the spinnaker tack line
through the block and up to the ATN Tacker.  A rigger saw this and cautioned
me that this puts a tremendous amount of pressure on the anchor base and
there is a danger of it pulling out.  But the maximum apparent wind I will
fly the spinnaker is 12 knots; gets any higher, the spinnaker comes down.
And yes, I fully expect to take some list-grief over this!)

Our downwind pole is mounted to the mast on a track so is fairly easy to
handle, much easier than when deck and/or stanchion mounted.  With this
set-up, I have no hesitation about going DDW (dead downwind) under any
conditions.

Post #2 - I pulled this out of Wikipedia:

"A preventer, or jibe-guard, is a mechanical device on a sailing vessel
which limits the boom's ability to swing dangerously across the boat during
an accidental jibe.

The uncontrolled jibe (or gybe) is feared by all sensible yachtsmen. The
heavy boom can potentially inflict severe head injuries or dispatch crew
members over board; even the mainsheet or traveller can also inflict serious
injury. Uncontrolled jibes may also damage the boat itself.

Rigging a preventer on a yacht's mainsail is often performed when the wind
is behind the beam (i.e. when it's coming from more than 90° off the bow).
It can also be useful at other times when there is more swell than wind, a
situation when the wind may not have the strength to keep the boom in place
as the boat dips and rolls.

On any boat that is sailing downwind without a preventer, strict
'heads-down' procedures must be enforced anywhere within the boom's arc.
Certain areas of the side-decks and maybe the cockpit also have to be
strictly 'no-go' to all crew depending on what the boom and mainsheet could
do in unchecked full swing.

The preventer with the most mechanical advantage is a line, from the end of
the boom, led outside of the shrouds and a long way forward - perhaps right
up to the bow - through a block, back to the cockpit and secured within
reach of the mainsheet.

Many cruising sailors prefer to rig two tackles (port and starboard) that
run from the midpoint of the boom to blocks on a track such as the
headsail-sheet-block track. These tackles are typically a 2 - 4 part tackles
for greater purchase. This rig can also be used as a boom vang without
taking up space under the mast that may be essential to the cruising sailor
for dinghy stowage and other uses. There is a possibility of breaking the
main boom with a preventer rig such as this, but many modern yachts are
considered to have short enough booms and be beamy enough to overlook this
possibility in normal use. For example, while running with the preventer
cleated, a large swell could roll the boat, dipping the boom end into the
water, snapping the boom in half.

Care should be taken when selecting the rope which is used for preventer
lines. To reduce the shock loads on the tackles, for example in an
unexpected jibe, three-strand nylon line may be preferred over of braided
cored line."

Allan S. Field
Sea Shadow - #808
Columbia, MD