[C320-list] No Additional cockpit winches -Use Autopilot

Robert E. Sloat resloat at comcast.net
Sat Jan 24 08:24:42 PST 2009

Brian-I have hull 894 and from day one of purchase have used the factory
installed Raymarine autopilot.  It greatly helps sailing when single handed.
Recently I added a wireless Raymarine Smart Controller remote control for
the autopilot which is a great help.  It functions both as a remote control
for the autopilot and a repeater for up to 4 digital readings on one screen
from your other Raymarine instruments at the helm. I even use it attached to
my belt when I go to the bow for launching and dowsing my asymmetric
spinnaker when single handed.

The repeater function is nice when you place the controller near the
companionway for making main sheet adjustments without having to return to
the helm to check on boat speed changes or apparent wind changes.

Below are the setting posted for a C320 a while back.  They are good for my
Raymarine ST4000 autopilot and I assume most others of recent vintage.  The
Smart Controller is compatible with Raymarine ST4000-ST290 instruments and
ST1000-5000  Raymarine autopilots.

An important setting is drive type = 2.

 Calibration Lock             OFF
     Pilot Type               4000whl
     Rudder Gain                 2
     Response                    2
     Turn Rate Limit            20
     Align Rudder               0
     Rudder Limit               20
     Off Course Alarm            20
     AutoTack                   100
     AutoTrim                    3
     Drive Type                  2
     Variation                   0
     AutoAdapt                  nth
     Latitude                   The correct latitude for the location of
                                      the boat.
     Rudder Damp               4
     Cruise Speed              A

Bob Sloat