[C320-list] Simulated Drunken Sailor Using Autopilot

Scott Thompson sthompson at toad.net
Sun Jan 25 10:41:09 PST 2009

I find that my autopilot steers much better on the constant apparent
wind angle setting than it does following a constant magnetic heading,
or following GPS waypoints.  Apart from the need to be alert for wind
shifts, the only other downside to this approach is that I find that the
AP sometimes gets confused during tacks in this mode.  It tends to steer
too high a course after a tack because it's trying to keep apparent wind
angle constant, but you actually want a broader apparent wind angle just
after a tack when you are going slow.

Scott