[C320-list] Battery Management

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Wed Jul 1 19:55:17 PDT 2009

Experience tells me not to worry too much.  You will get a feel for this
in short order.

I don't know where you sail, but on the Chesapeake I leave the fridge on
all of the time while cruising, and run the engine in the morning to
recharge batteries when I'm anchored out.  I keep the fridge set on 5,
and it uses a lot less energy at night because the kids aren't
constantly opening it.  Plus the ambient temperature is less.

I put a big block of ice in the bottom of the fridge at the start of a
week long cruise, and it's still there a few days later, so I'm getting
adequate cooling.  The block of ice acts as a "thermal sink" that keeps
the compressor from having to work too hard during periods (around meal
time) when the fridge is opened a lot and/or when warm things are put
inside.  We also keep a thermos of ice water on the kitchen counter so
that people aren't tempted to open the fridge at night.

The only time I run the engine before going to bed is when I've been at
anchor for 24 hours.

Good luck with that first cruise.  You are going to love the boat.

Scott

--
Scott Thompson
Surprise, #653