[C320-list] Raymarine speed sensor

Ed Edwards edandsue.pt at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 14:46:05 PDT 2009

I had a similar problem with my ST50 Speed Plus.  The transducer apparently
can leak and short out the ability to transmit info.  The first step in
determining that problem is to remove the transducer and let it dry out.
After 24 hours out of the water mine began working again.

Initially I had a friend use a vacuum cleaner blower to rotate the paddle
wheel while I watched the instrument.  There was no reading.  The next day
the blower caused the transducer the register with  the knotmeter.

You can remove the transducer from the through hull fitting while the boat
is in the water.  Make sure you have the plug before you start and an extra
set of hands may be convenient.  I got about a cup of water inside the hull
when I did it.

The ST 50 unit isn"t available anymore but you can use a different version
with a sleeve.

Ed,  REBOUND #347