[C320-list] Fwd: Anti-freeze

warren updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 10 10:10:37 PDT 2009

The article on the web site is very helpful.  I found the antifreeze issue
to be very confusing given the product changes over the years.  This is what
I've learned:

O Don't mix colors of antifreeze;
O However, there is, apparently, a type that is compatible with any color;
O I always by the 50/50 mixture; costs more; is less trouble; avoids
minerialized (hard) water sources;
O Any current product marked "extended life" contains the anticorrosive
necessary for our engines (Perkins or Yanmar;)
O To be on the safe side, follow the flushing procedure if you were not the
one who last changed the antifreeze;
O Always consult and follow the mfgr. instructions.

Once a year, I drain out 1/2 gal. of antifreeze and replace with new.  I
don't know how kosher this is; but, works for me.

Warren & Pattie Updike
Catalina 320, #62, "Warr De Mar"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay