[C320-list] Tachometer Problem - Ring Gear/Sensor Gap

Robert E. Sloat resloat at comcast.net
Sat Jul 11 08:23:36 PDT 2009

Scott-You are right.  The clearance is adjustable and Yanmar manual says the
gap between the tachometer sensor and the ring gear should be 1.3 mm (0.0511
in.).  It also says the sensor must not be loose fitted, so if it moves
around that may cause problems.

There is a test of the sensor using an oscilloscope which is difficult to
explain.

One easily measured spec. for the sensor is its internal resistance at rest
which is 1.6 k ohms + or - 0.1 k ohms.  If the resistance across the two
pins on the sensor which connected to the wires going to the tachometer is
not that then the manual remedy is to replace the sensor.

Bob Sloat
Savannah 894